Apprentice IT Support Technician
Our Apprentice IT Support Technician role has now been filled, but do check back as we are often looking for great people to join our team.
We’re looking for a bright spark to join our growing Pembrokeshire IT company to help us look after our customers’ ICT systems. Our offices in Haverfordwest are a hive of activity and we’re busier than ever, helping keep small businesses in West Wales running smoothly at all times. As an apprentice, you’ll work full time whilst studying level 2 & 3 qualifications in IT, Software, Web & Telecoms with Pembrokeshire College. You can find out more about the course here.
Ours is a close-knit team of professionals who work closely together and go the extra mile for our customers every single day. No two days are the same and, as our Apprentice IT Support Technician, you’ll take on a wide variety of different responsibilities during your time here. The apprenticeship will last for 24 months with the option to transition into a permanent position afterwards for the right candidate.
Our culture is open and positive and our people come from all walks of life. We’re inclusive, encouraging and are strong believers in putting people at the heart of everything we do.
What you'll do
Your role as our Apprentice IT Support Technician will be extremely varied. Your day will usually start in our office at Haverfordwest where you’ll catch up with colleagues and use our internal systems to assess which of our customers need your help and how soon they need it. This isn’t just a desk-based role, though, and you’ll be expected to get stuck in to whatever comes your way. Some of your responsibilities might include:
- Being the first point of contact for our customers over the phone and through our email support system
- Taking control of our incoming support tickets, correctly prioritising and scheduling them for the right person
- Monitoring the schedules of other staff members and helping them keep on track throughout the day
- Assisting to build and configure hardware i.e. computers, CCTV systems, telephone systems, data networks
- Installing hardware at customer sites including using a ladder and power tools where required
- Monitoring the health of our clients’ computers and servers and taking action to remedy any issues
- Washing and vacuuming our van on a weekly basis
- Keeping our office space clean and tidy and the fridge stocked with goodies at all times
- Assisting with answering general support queries or troubleshooting basic issues reported by customers
- Maintaining stock levels and ordering/receiving goods needed for upcoming projects
- Creating internal documentation or ‘how to’ guides to help others tackle problems you’ve already solved
- Be a proactive learner with a natural desire to know more about our company and what we do
- Take ownership of issues and pull out all the stops to make sure we deliver outstanding customer service
- Running errands for the Managing Director
What do our staff think?
Each week, our staff give anonymous feedback about their experience working here through an external company. Here’s some of our recent feedback:
- “Seeing the smiles on customers faces when their tech issues are sorted makes me quite happy and proud to help people”
- “Everyone is always on the same page whilst working and no one would expect you to do a job that they, themselves wouldn’t do. This creates a fantastic work environment”
- “Great communication and trust with my manager”
- “Great colleagues and a clean and organised work space”
- “I get a huge sense of accomplishment from knowing that I’ve helped people during my day and knowing customers are happy with the work I’ve done”
We’re looking for a positive, friendly person with a great attitude and a burning desire to know more. You must have a full UK driving license for this role and the use of your own car. You’ll need GCSEs grade A-C or equivalent in English and Maths as part of the apprenticeship course delivered by Pembrokeshire College.
Some things you’ll want to know:
- Working hours will normally be 9am-5pm Monday to Friday excluding bank holidays
- You’ll be entitled to 24 days leave per year
- You’ll be paid the apprentice wage, which is currently £4.15 per hour, for the first year
- There will be the need to work the occasional Saturday, which is usually paid in pizza (as well as actual money, of course)
- We have a water cooler and provide soft drinks, squash and occasionally biscuits (depending on how the MD’s diet is going)
- Tea and coffee is also provided and we have a Tassimo machine if you like something a bit special
- We offer a great work-life balance and regular team building events (AKA trips to the pub)
- You will need a good understanding of Microsoft desktop products i.e. Windows 10 and the Office suite
- You should have a basic understanding of servers and network infrastructure
- You will need to show that you can use correct spelling and grammar as you’ll be writing documentation for others to follow
- Your positive and friendly attitude will put you head and shoulders above the rest of the applicants for this post.
Please send your CV and a covering letter to [email protected] and a member of the team will be in touch.
YOUR EMAIL NEEDS TO CONFIRM THE FOLLOWING:
- I am applying for an apprenticeship and I know what the wage is
- I have a full, clean UK driving license and use of my own car
- I make an excellent cup of tea or coffee or will do whatever it takes to learn how
- I have a brilliant work ethic and a positive attitude